This is one of our favorite smoothies that we whip up about once a week. This Wild Root Smoothie is loaded with root vegetables, including beets, carrots, turnips and fresh ginger.
Beets have been used medicinally since the days of the Ancient Romans, who recognized the colorful root as a potent aphrodisiac. Beets are high in boron which aids in the production of human sex hormones. There are naturally occurring nitrates in beets which can also increase blood flow, which is code for “awesome” whether you’re a guy or a gal.
Here are a few more benefits of the powerhouse root veggies in this smoothie:
Carrots are packed with vitamin A and beta-carotene, and are known for improving vision, protecting against cancer, slowing aging, promoting healthy skin, preventing infection, and cleansing the body.
Beets are loaded with vitamins and minerals, including potassium, magnesium, fiber, phosphorous, iron, vitamin A, vitamin B, vitamin C, beta-carotene, and beta-cyanine.
Turnips boost your intake of vitamins C, B-2, B-3, B-9, E, K, as well as magnesium, potassium phosphorous, and zinc.
Ginger improves the absorption and assimilation of essential nutrients in the body, making it a great addition to this smoothie. It also has anti-inflammatory properties and works wonders on upset tummies.
And greens? Well, we all know that they’re basically the healthiest thing on earth. 🙂
We hope you enjoy this “red” green smoothie – it’s a nutrient-dense treat for the senses.
- 1 organic beet (peeled and quartered)
- ½ organic turnip
- 2 organic carrots
- 1-inch piece of fresh ginger root, peeled
- ½ ripe organic peach
- large handful parsley leaves
- 2 big handfuls of greens (mixed greens, kale, beet greens, etc)
- 2 tablespoons hempseed
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds (ideally, soaked in water for at least 20 minutes)
- 1 cup ginger kombucha (optional)
- dash of organic 100% stevia extract
- 1 cup ice
- Purified water
- Add all ingredients to your blender along with enough water to facilitate blending.
- Blend until smooth.
- Serve immediately, or cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
If you like tasty smoothies, hearty feasts, and paleo-friendly treats, you should check out the Fat-Burning Tribe, our online community. We share recipes like this every week, and have a whole library of meal ideas, Q+A sessions where we answer your questions, and step-by-step cooking videos to help you feed yourself and your family delicious, fat-burning foods.